OnceAgain

OnceAgain
I was just thinkin' and then I started typin'

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day and Night

I have had the weirdest day. Or weirdest "night." I'm not really sure. Things get all discombobulated when you work the night shift. Day is night and night is day; relatively speaking. And sometimes, they're both?Last "day," we slogged our way through a hard shift and then it was home again. Thank goodness, my daughter called to chat. She helped keep me awake on the drive. Well, that and having the air conditioner down to 68 degrees.
Of course, once I got home and got the pets settled; I woke up. Wired. Could not get my self back in the sleep mode.
Absolutely, freaking great.
So I was up until about 11:00 AM. Then it hit. Fatigue. Exhaustion. One minute, I was working around the house, and the next, I could barely function. I felt liked I'd had a ton of the proverbial bricks land on me.
I let the pets out for one last quick romp and crashed.
And then it was 5:45. PM. And I woke up and I was completely disoriented.
Apparently, while I was "sleeping," I'd gotten up at some point and let the pets out, there was the tell; tell sign of Peaches' chew toy in the living area - she'd taken that out earlier. And they weren't dancing with the "urge" at the patio door. Sooo....
They got the usual light evening snack and let out again. I answered the phone call from Hubskins - he's on a business trip at the moment. But, I kept feeling like I had done some of it before.
I must've dreamed I had done this all or something, but it was like I was walking through the evening for the second time.
And I must say it was a bit disconcerting. Especially the part about not remembering letting the pets out.
Scary, huh? I'm wondering if maybe I did a bit of sleep walking. Which hasn't happened in......years?
Several times in my life; I've slept walked. And each time; I was in the throes of complete exhaustion. It was like I was so tired that even in sleep; I still couldn't completely "shut off." I would have to sleep walk and then I'd be okay after that bout was out of my system.
But the last time was 10-12 years ago.
I guess, I figured I'd outgrown it. Of course that was also that last time I worked the night shift, too. Oh, well.
Good news. The doors were locked, the cars were where they'd been parked before, I was still in my PJ's, so all was safe and sound.
Oh; and the dishwasher was unloaded. And...the washer had a load of clothes in it.
I hadn't done that before I'd gone to bed.
I don't remember doing that either. But, I guess if I'm going to have the rare bout of sleep walking; I should try and throw housekeeping and cleaning in there if I can.
Or maybe, I should just try lying down before I hit the wall and exhaust myself after a hard shift.
I'm so freaking stubborn. I make mules look like pushovers. That's probably not too good. But, I have just always got to go until I drop. Which is a bone of contention with me and Hubskins. He's always on me about burning the candle at both ends, etc.
However, this sorta threw me a new one. This was spooky, scary. I'm a bit too; let's use the word mature; for this type of escapade. And I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd decided I had to have a new pair of shoes or something.
It's one thing to take medicine and go off the deep end; but to do this because you choose to stay up past your bedtime is STUPID!
I quit.
So I figure; next time, I'll just lay down and read a book or something. Housework can wait. And maybe; I'll throw the key rings somewhere other than the hooks they normally hang on; just in case. Instead of figuring since while I'm wired, I'll make use of the time; maybe I'll blow it on a relaxing bath.
But whatever else happens; the next time I come home from a hard day's night as the Beetle's song goes; I'm turning it into a night of sleep.
OnceAgain

No comments: