OnceAgain

OnceAgain
I was just thinkin' and then I started typin'

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Teacher vs Instructor

I had a chat with one of my fellow "Instructors" the other the day.
OK, she was scolding me. Again.
Apparently I let myself get bogged down with the incidentals. Those being; I add too much extra to my teaching. I embellish. I give the kids the extra info that she deems unnecessary to classroom instruction.
Okey dokey.
I respect her opinion. She is after all, a bit more of the expert in the classroom. She has taught longer than I.
But with all due respect, when she looked me in the eye and dropped this on me - "all we need to teach them is to give a proper shot" - I kinda drew back and did a little rethinking.
Excuse me?
Aren't educators supposed to ED-U-CATE? As in teach? I mean not just skim the surface and make it look all glossy and shiny, but like a true wood worker, give the piece a deep burnish and many coats that protect the surface bring out the patina of the wood; the beauty.
And just for the record? I do teach my chicks to "give a proper shot." That's even one of my extras. I've made them a booklet that has illustrations of how to locate and map the proper injection sites on the body.
I've also set up charts on "patients" that have allergies, illnesses, and problems such as they will encounter in real-life situations. These charts are what they will use in their clinical trials for grading. And those are the "patients" that will get the shots. The kids will have to now make sure there are no allergies involved or if permits have been signed or if dosages are correct.
Oh; my. They will have to study the meds and the rules.
They were using charts with their own histories, healthy young people with nothing wrong with them.
Yeah, that made sense. Treat the healthy medically. And I decided they get a practice run thru and then they will have to work it in an exam room setting. They won't know which patient or what Dr.'s order they're gonna have to deal with until they grab a chart.
Just like real life.
And this has bent my coworker outa shape. She thinks once again; I'm putting too much into my work.
Not me.
These kids are gonna be taking care of me, my friends, possibly my family members. I WANT them to KNOW what they are doing and why.
My husband; St. Skip; thinks she's bent because the boss likes it. And because the kids are having fun.
Hell; I'm having fun.
We injected tangerines for practice on Thursday and had a blast. I incorporated their math into the lesson.
When the janitor stuck his head into the room for the trash and saw the tangerines, he raised his eyebrows. He wanted to know what the ....? I loftily informed him those were former patients.
The kids loved it.
You know you're onto something when they help you clean up.
I sat there reveling in a good, good session.
So what? In came Debbie Downer. And then followed the conversation. Or lecture.
Technically I need her lead. She was the one that set up the formula for the Clinical aspect of our Program. She has been guiding me thru the process. Little by little. It's as if she enjoys sharing her knowledge and glories in it. OK. OK. She irks me a little. And I know she probably means well. At least I hope she does. But damn it; I see nothing wrong with giving the kids a heads up for real life. And I see nothing wrong with bringing new ideas into a program. Especially if they enhance learning.
If I volunteer my time; do the work on my own; pay for the materials; and donate the goods which can be used over and over again; what's the big deal?
I've upset the apple cart and a fellow Instructor.
I've been bad. Apparently.
So I'm afraid she and I are going to have to agree to disagree. Respectfully of course.
She will continue to instruct.
I will continue to teach.
OnceAgain

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: