OnceAgain

OnceAgain
I was just thinkin' and then I started typin'

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lucky

Yes, that's the title I'm going with as I write this post.
You see; this time last Sunday; Kelly, my eldest, was sitting at the bedside of her son in the ICU as he was suffering from a serious head wound.
The metal arm of his pitching machine had come down on him and effectively "scalped" the right side of his head above and to the back of his right ear. The area was approximately the size of a large man's hand.
Did I mention it got a small artery also?
Yup; got a spurter, too.
When all was said and done. Kel got a chance to tell me how it went down and I have to tell you; I'm proud how she and Matt held it together and got Zack to the ER. How they got him to hold it together and all got through it.
It was an ugly ride. And he landed himself in the ICU for 3 days and a couple of nights. Then on to the floor to be watched for a little bit longer. More IV fluids, too. Kid lost a little over a pint of blood.
Head wounds will do that.
They bleed like a son-of-a-gun.
He's still on antibiotics and having nagging little headaches from being smacked a good one.
Doc said he was one lucky kid. If the blasted arm on the machine had come down on the base of his head. Not gonna write it.
Now do you see why I chose the title?
I went down this past weekend to visit and just see and just...
Sometimes you just have to be around them after something goes down to reassure yourself that all are OK.
It's a thing.
The kids know to deal with it.
Checked in with Karen, too.
I was good.
Yeah, new thing I'm trying. Being good.
You see, I know how lucky I am.
OnceAgain

No comments: