OnceAgain

OnceAgain
I was just thinkin' and then I started typin'

Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Birthday Gift

This is a letter, I wrote to my Daughters shortly after THE EVENT....
Sorry if I've been remiss with contacting all lately. It's been crazy. No; truly crazy. And this time it wasn't me or my antics. My Hospital had a big shake-up and the Cardiovascular program went down the tubes; literally.
We have been experiencing low census North Alabama wide for about 4 months now in all Hospitals. I actually heard that that is true in most of the Southeast. But, none the less, because of that, and the fact that I am PRN - as needed, I had been "floated" to CIC for the past 5 weeks.
CIC is short 2 night nurses and I was glad to help and glad to get to work. Heck, it's basically the same kind of work except they don't go as far to crack the patients chest. So no biggy there.
Anywho, I bebopped into work last Saturday night; went to my locker to get my stuff; then into the Unit 'cause I needed a form I have to have each time I work on a different Unit than CVPCU. And the Unit was pitch black. I just figured; low census; everyone on call until they get a patient.
So I come out the doors to clock in and meet Debra the night Supervisor; and make a remark about, "wow, census is REALLY low."
She looks at me and goes, you don't know do you? And I'm blank. It must show on my face, 'cause she asks if I got an e-mail or phone call and I ask about what? And she put her arm around my shoulder, told me to clock in, and starts walking me towards the elevator. And proceeds to tell me how last Thursday.....the powers-that-be walked into the Units and told the Staff to prepare the patients for transfer to other Units.
Then the Staff was briefed on their immediate severance from the Hospital and the "packages" to follow. To include Barry, our Supervisor.
I got lucky. When I got to CIC, the girls informed me I'd been "adopted." They liked my work, my ethic, all that good junk. Terri, CIC Supervisor, was already putting paperwork in to get me transferred to be their PRN. Robin had filled me in on the Nov. schedule and they all said they'd leave if I didn't get to stay and CIC is the last step down Unit left.
Like I said; I got lucky. I only cried a little 'cause we had to take report and get going. But, it was the weirdest night.
And at midnight - I turned 55. So I sorta got a nice birthday present. I got to keep my job.
But, 29 of my friends didn't. And that just sucks, you know?
So I spent Sunday, after shift, with a headache; migraine actually. Figures.
Monday; I had to go to HR and do paperwork and stuff for the transfer. And I saw Barry and he talked to me for 2 hours about this and how worried he is about everyone, and all that went down. Apologized to not getting in touch with me. He had to go sign his divorce papers the next day after all this happened and he got side tracked. He was looking bad, actually. And I hate this for him. He has been an outstanding Supervisor and is a fine young man.
Tuesday; I got on line and the phone and got info on 5 Hospitals around here; Dialysis Clinics; Home Health; Hospice; The Heart Center and some other places and 5 Travel Companies and did some computer printouts.
Wednesday morning I went to THE Meeting for the CV people and gave out the info and gave out my business cards so I could be used as a reference. Wednesday night it was back to work.
The CNO was glaring at me at the meeting. 'Cause part of her speech was if they could wait for 5-6 weeks "something" at DGH my open back up for them.
?! People have bills woman.
I've managed to help 2 people actually get jobs and 2 get interviews. And 3 have good leads; I'm hopeful for them.
Update: All this was the week of October 19th thru 25. Today is November 10. And I've been working my new job; networking and assisting the CV Gang; childproofing the house for an extraordinary Grandestson who'll be visiting soon and getting ready for an elective outpatient "minor" procedure.
I've been pretty much running myself ragged actually. And it's showing. I haven't slept well. Some really bad dreams; a few involving and about the Old Gang. Janis called it a form of survivor's guilt. All I know is, they're pretty bad and I don't care for them.
But that's the update and I hope to do better.
After all; my wedding anniversary is coming up. Can't wait to see what that holds.
OnceAgain

No comments: