OnceAgain

OnceAgain
I was just thinkin' and then I started typin'

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Living with the Elderly

Good Lord, I knew it had been awhile, but this long? Really?! I guess so. Apologies. I've really been letting things get away from me. Look what happens when you get sick and stop with things and start with others. My life is so out of control. I guess I can go back into my email files and use some of those as "catch ups." Or not. We'll see. But right now, I'm on leave from my teaching job with my Dad living with me. I brought him East from California after my Stepmom passed away. It isn't easy living with an elderly person. Believe me. I knew from what I had seen my Patients and Friends go thru, but to experience first hand is something else. Hell. Dad is difficult. I know he's just lost his wife of 43 years. I know he's moved across the Country. I know he's living in a strange home and not under conditions he'd like. I know; I know; I know. But he's also playing games and trying to manipulate us (myself and my husband) to get his way and to play us off against each other. He's like a child with his parents. Tell Dad 1 thing and Mom another and watch them as they get frustrated and angry (hopefully from the "kid's point of view). I guess it's a fun for him. Not for us. We are standing united. He hates that. Hates it. To move him out here was a nightmare. He changed his mind as to where he wanted to settle about 5 times. Meanwhile I just kept packing up the house. 1 box at a time. He packed and unpacked and repacked his bedroom. 5 boxes for 2.5 weeks. Oh, yea! Occasionally, he ventured out to his workshop and played out there. It was a tiny thing and he claimed he did a lot of packing. So why was there a panicked tape attack on the contents the day we packed up the Uhaul? And when it came to paying for all of this as he promised - remember, I'm on sabbatical (no pay)and Skip's between job's(no pay)- he tried to back out. "I never ask you to do all this." Oh, yes he did. He begged us to do this. He didn't want to stay in that house with all the memories. He cried and ask us not to leave him alone on the West Coast by himself and said he'd pay for everything. He just needed us for the logistics and muscle. As if I'd leave my elderly, forgetful Dad like that. I mean, come on. And we still used $3,000 out of our savings to help when we least could afford because he's our blood. And we've yet to receive a thank you or even a grunt of gratitude. So he is here, and he did write a check so we can pay our bills another month. But he is pouty about it. And today he's out and about with my husband. He was acting frail, but Skip gave him the "eye." Suddenly all was better. Amazing. A cure with a look. This is going to be some adventure. I may pull my hair out. OnceAgain

No comments: